ICES Seagoing Workshop 1993 Spectral
light data and supporting measurements
The light data and supporting measurements are stored in Excel-files.
For each Excel-file
there is a *.crd file acting as a deployment log containing information on position, weather
conditions, operator etc.
File names are made according to date notation : yymmdd
File names with last letter a,c,e,g,i are down-cast.
File names with last letter b,d,f,h,j are up-cast.
Measurement variables and units:
- Depth = m
- Ed = µW/cm2 /nm
- Eu = µW/cm2 /nm
- Lu = µW/cm2 /nm/steradian
- PAR = µW/cm2 /nm
- NatFL = µW/cm2 /nm/steradian
- Fluor (Chl a), 0-5V, 5V = 10 mg m-3
- Tilt/Roll = °
- Temp = °C
- Cond = mmho
- Salin (pss78) = ppt
In the *.crd files SKY CONDITION is described in Norwegian with an English translation in
- The Spectroradiometer instrument has no monochromator or moving parts. The optics is
based on arrays of photodetectors with narrowband interference and blocking filters. The
wavelength bandwidth is 10nm FWHM [Full bandwidth at Half Maximum].
- The irradiance detector arrays have a cosinus correcting diffuser.
- The radians detector arrays have individual Gershun Tube radians collector optics. The
collector angle is defined to 10,2 degrees in water.
- 13 channels Ed (downwelling irradiance)
- 8 channels Eu (upwelling irradiance)
- 8 channels Lu (upwelling radiance) (NatFL= Lu 683)
- Fluorescence: Sea Tech Fluorometer, Ex=425 nm, Em=685nm
- PAR scalar irradians: 1,9cm diameter TeflonÒ diffuser. 4 sensor. Biospherical Instruments
- Temperature and conductivity: Sea-Bird Electronics, inc.
Data prepared by:
Svenn Ove Linde
Norges Teknisk Naturvitenskapelige Universitet (NTNU)
Trondhjem Biologiske Stasjon
Any questions that may arise regarding the Spectroradiometer instrument itself and data
acquired by the instrument, should be addressed to Svenn Ove Linde at NTNU directly.
Part of the documentation has been humbly translated from Norwegian to English by Tor
Knutsen at IMR.
Tuesday 1 May 2000