EXCO Minutes June 6, 1997

Below are the minutes of the recent ExCo meeting.  Note:  important
preparations for the upcoming Scientific Investigators Meeting
(July 21-23) were discussed ...  be ready!

                                                David Mountain

Northwest Atlantic GLOBEC Executive Committee Meeting
June 6, 1997
University of Rhode Island
The meeting began at 9:10 AM.  In attendance were P. Wiebe, L. Madin, G. 
Lough, S. Gallager, D. Mountain, E. Durbin, J. Bisagni, K. Wishner, D. 
Lynch, D. Busch.  Peter reviewed the agenda:
     1.  SI meeting preparations
     2.  Review data base structure and inventory
     3.  Status and planning for ICES and ASLO/AGU meetings 
     4.  Plans for future volumes of papers
     5.  Outside attendance at the SI meeting
     6.  Including non-GLOBEC cruises in our data base 
     7.  Phase III funding and related issues
and asked for any additions.  Jim Bisagni tabled an item relating to his 
future involvement in the program.  Donna Busch added an item about 
cruise operations. Peter added a brief review of the GLOBEC Scientific 
Steering Committee (SSC) meeting in Boulder.
SSC meeting
On April 10-11 the SSC met in Boulder, CO.  Peter Wiebe, Bob Beardsley, 
Ted Durbin, Dale Haidvogel and David Mountain represented the Georges 
Bank program and make presentations summarizing the status of the 
program and major results.  The Advisory Committee that will conduct an 
overall review of the GLOBEC program was attending (J. Knauss, K. 
Denman, B. Frost, E. Houde).  The presentations seem to go well. 
Initiating a Phase III of the Georges Bank program was supported, as 
well the need for a final synthesis phase.  A draft Announcement of 
Opportunity for Phase III was presented and comments were requested from 
the SSC members.  The SSC and the Advisory Committee were very 
interested in the extent to which the Geoges Bank work was, indeed, 
related to climate change.  Peter presented a figure from Benjamin 
Planque of the Sir Alister Hardy Foundation for Ocean Sciences showing a 
tight relation between variations in the North Atlantic-wide calanus 
abundance and the NAO index.  The implication is that variations we are 
dealing with are part of larger, climate variability.  Hydrographic data 
from the Georges Bank program and from the Gulf of Maine region also 
suggest larger, climatic scale variability occurring during our Georges 
Bank studies.
In addition, the SSC and COP are considering the design of monitoring 
programs that will be the outgrowth of GLOBEC.  More will be heard about 
this in the future - it will be an important topic for the GLOBEC 
Jim Biasgni's Move to UMASS
Jim has moved from NMFS to UMASS.  He is not able to take funding with 
him or, according to NOAA General Council, receive any government 
funding at UMASS directly related to what he was doing at NMFS.  Jim has 
a need for support during this summer and requested a letter from ExCO 
to NMFS supporting his desire to be hired by NMFS on a summer 
appointment.  David Mountain said that from recent discussions in Woods 
Hole it appeared that an arrangement had been made in which UMASS would 
cover Jim's summer salary to maintain his official status as a GLOBEC 
PI.  Jim will check on this.
SI Meeting Preparations
The next Scientific Investigators' Meeting is scheduled for July 21-23 
in Woods Hole.  The initial structure developed at the last ExCo meeting 
had summary talks with a `hero' for each during the first day.  Bob 
Groman had received a few comments about the proposed structure - 
generally supporting the new layout.  Ideas for structuring the rest of 
the meeting were discussed - e.g., have an informal poster session?  The 
general desire of the discussion was to allow individual investigators 
to present some results, while also having the time to follow up on 
points of interest.  The meeting will be a good opportunity to lay the 
ground work or make the connections for integrated papers to be 
presented at ASLO/AGU next winter and to be published in the next volume 
of papers.
Five summary, introductory areas were identified and `heros' were 
suggested for each:
Interannual variability in physical fields: Primary intent is 
year-to-year during our 3 years of sampling, but it also relates to 
decadal or longer term variability.  The presentation should make some 
reference to source-retention-loss, if possible.  Suggested heros: P. 
Smith/D. Mountain/R. Limburner..
Interannual variability in biological fields: This primarily deals with 
distributional and abundance results.  Suggested heros: T. Durbin/L. 
Madin/S. Gallager;
Stratification PO/Bio:     PO Hero: R. Beardsley; Biological, including 
vital rates, heros: G. Lough/C. Davis/D. Gifford.
Intrusions: This refers to both Scotian Shelf cross over events and to 
the intrusions of Slope Water along the southern flank of the Bank.  PO 
heros: J. Manning/J. Irish; Bio heros: K. Ashjian/J. Sibunka
Coupled physical/biological modeling: Heros: D. Lynch/C. Miller/D. 
McGillicuddy/C. Werner
The intent will be for the `heros' put together a summary talk on the 
topic, incorporating results from all investigators.  For this to 
succeed, there needs to be a dual responsibility for both the heros to 
contact the various investigators who might have something to contribute 
and for any investigator who has something to contact the hero.  Lead 
hero to contact for each area are (in order of the above topics:  Smith, 
Durbin, Beardsley, Manning, and Lynch.  Individual investigators with 
results that go beyond what can be covered in the summary talks will be 
encouraged to make either an oral or poster presentation.  The posters 
are not intended to be full, formal posters - but small, informal, with 
a few figures - pointing out some interesting or unusual 
result/observation, to promote discussion and interaction with other 
investigators.  Investigators who want to make a presentation or have a 
poster that does not fit within the above topic areas will be asked to 
notify Peter Wiebe/Bob Groman.  Since time will limited, some split 
between oral and poster will have to be made.  For all presentations an 
abstract will be requested - to help everyone know what is being 
presented and for a meeting report document.
A draft agenda was developed for the three days of the meeting:
Day 1
     0815     Start
     0830     Summary Talk 1
     0915     Discussion
     0930     Summary Talk 2
     1015     Discussion
     1030     Break
     1050     Summary Talk 3
     1140     Discussion
     1200     Lunch
     1330     Summary Talk 4
     1415     Discussion
     1430     Summary Talk 5
     1515     Break
     1535     Discussion
               presentation by Canadian and Japan GLOBEC (?)
     1630     Plenary Discussion by fishers 
     Evening ?
Day 2
     0830     Talks by individual investigators - 15 min (including questions) 
     1000     Break
     1020     Talks          (12 total)
     1205     Lunch
     1330     Poster Session
     1530     Plenary Session
               focused discussion on synthesis papers 
               and presentations(ICES, ASLO/AGU)
     1700     Discussion TBD
     Evening     Phase III discussion & other GLOBEC programs
Day 3
     0830     Start talks
     1000     Break
     1020     Talks
     1205     Lunch
Bob Groman will follow up on these minutes with a memo that will restate 
in more detail how the meeting will be organized.
ICES meeting in Baltimore
     Peter has received 55 contributions, about 2/3 from Georges Bank
GLOBEC.  One decision is how many talks can really be given - and how 
many posters.  While ICES has indicated that there could be enough time 
to have all presentations be given orally (over a number of days), Peter 
would like to limit the session to two days.  Peter is leaning toward 
having about 20 given orally and the rest posters.  There will also be a 
session on the future of GLOBEC studies in the North Atlantic during the 
ICES meeting.
ASLO/AGU in Feb 1998
     Peter has submitted a request for a special session on climate
variability, fisheries resources, and the dynamics of plankton 
populations in the Georges Bank/Gulf of Maine/Scotian Shelf region of 
the Northwest Atlantic.  The intent is for the presentations at this 
meeting to form the basis of the next volume of papers for the program. 
By the fall (i.e., after ICES) we should have a pretty good idea of what 
the papers would be - at least by title - so that final form could be 
ready for ASLO/AGU.
Review of Database Structure and Inventory
Some changes are being made to the database structure.  An inventory 
button has been added to get summary of what is in the database.  This 
also allows Bob Groman to identify what is NOT in the database.
Improved searching capabilities are being planned, but not yet coded.  A 
lot of data has still not been entered.  Bob and Chip will be contacting 
SI's about getting their data into the system.
A brief discussion was held on whether data from  non-GLOBEC cruises 
that are related to GLOBEC should be included in the GLOBEC data base. 
Examples are the COP cruises and David Townsend's cruises in 1993 and 
1994.  The general feeling was to include them, with some code to 
indicate that they are from other programs.  Bob Groman felt that this 
would not be a problem.
Phase III Funding Issues:
     NOAA/COP appears to have committed all of its funds for GLOBEC through
1999 and this has made it difficult to see how phase III is to go forward 
in the planned time frame if there is no other funding. Complicating this 
is the fact that current planning has the west coast program moving from 
the pilot phase which is about to start into a full-blown effort in 2000 
(after the field phase of the Georges Bank Program should have been 
completed).   We have been told that NSF/NOAA doesn't have enough funding 
to support both Georges Bank (if the final process field work were 
delayed a year) and the west coast GLOBEC.  One question then is how much 
is presently committed to Georges Bank PI's in the third year of the 
current proposals?  How much more is really needed to have a viable 1999 
program?  A review of phase II funding was done by EXCO in an attempt to 
determine for each current proposal if existing funding already supports 
field work in 1999.  Peter will follow up on this discussion with Phil 
June Broad Scale Cruise:
For the upcoming broad scale cruise needs a male body for flying MOCNESS 
- the cruise leaves on June 18.  Donna Busch and Ted Durbin will work 
this out.
Next ExCo meeting will be July 7 - either at UMASS/Dartmouth or Woods 
The meeting adjourned at 3:05.