U.S. GLOBEC Georges Bank EXCO Meeting
October 28, 2003
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

Present: Bob Beardsley, Ted Durban, Charlie Flagg, Bob Groman, Greg Lough, Jeff Runge, Peter Wiebe

Absent: Dian Gifford, Jamie Pringle, David Mountain, David Townsend

Visitor: Andy Beet

A. Additional agenda items added:

COP budget issues.
Short report on ICES meeting in Estonia.
Update and background on draft North Atlantic Basin proposal.

B. Announcement of Opportunity (AO)

U.S. GLOBEC Georges Bank Phase IV was originally planned as one AO. But the panel and program managers decided to hold back some funding so that basin-scale analyses and modeling could receive more attention later. Most model work supported in the current phase were for the local Georges Bank region. Thus a final Phase IV AO is in the draft stage now. EXCO reviewed the draft document and suggested several changes. The document will next be reviewed by the U.S. GLOBEC Scientific Steering Committee, which will be meeting on 6 and 7 November.

C. Scientific Investigators' Meeting Agenda and Other Details

B. Groman reported that there are 45 registered attendees with the possibility of two more people registering for the upcoming U.S. GLOBEC Georges Bank Science meeting scheduled for 18-20 November 2003. All available rooms are booked. There were twenty five (25) talks and eight (8) posters offered during the registration process. Bob said that to avoid duplication of effort and to get a start on the meeting report, the list of talks and posters, with their corresponding abstracts, are being added to the web in the report format. The draft agenda will be added as well, after this meeting.

We reviewed the draft agenda and the proposed talk titles. The first morning, Tuesday, the meeting will begin at 10:00am. After a short introduction, principal investigators of the five scientific projects will present a brief (20 minute) overview of their individual lead projects. Five (5) minutes will be allowed for discussion after each presentation. The scientific talks will then follow. The talks were ordered so that the fundamental physical oceanography presentations would appear first, starting Tuesday afternoon. The remaining combined biology, physical oceanography, and modeling talks would continue through the end of Tuesday and be completed Wednesday afternoon. It was noted that two of the 25 talks listed belonged as part of the early morning lead presentations. We accommodated a request to avoid a Wednesday presentation by moving it to Tuesday. Wednesday afternoon will begin plenary cross-group discussions followed by evening breakout sessions, after dinner. Thursday morning will have working group and other special reports, followed by a final plenary session. The meeting ends after lunch, although meeting rooms will be available in the afternoon for any groups that still wish to meet.

B. Beardsley noted that a collection of U.S. GLOBEC Georges Bank papers was now ready to be published in a special section of JGR. There was a suggestion that we make available CDrom copies of JGR PDF-formatted articles at the November meeting. This special section with sixteen papers, edited by B. Beardsley, P. Smith and C. Lee, has a number of papers about the physics and biology of Georges Bank that are relevant to the synthesis effort. B. Groman wondered if abstracts could be put on-line. He will follow up on this.

EXCO wants to encourage people to bring pre-prints and reprints of their recent papers to the November meeting as well.

Bob was asked about the logistics for an evening reception. He will contact Whispering Pines to find out.

It was asked whether Peter Smith would contribute at the November meeting. EXCO suggested giving formal invitation to Brad DeYoung, Peter Smith, Charlie Hannah, and Erica Head. However, the timing is short, so the invitation may be to attend next year's meeting.

D. Review Material to be Presented at the US GLOBEC Scientific Steering Committee (SSC) Meeting

Peter will be giving an update on the US GLOBEC Georges Bank Atlantic Program at next week's SSC meeting. He will give an update on the progress for each of the five scientific programs and has requested input from the various investigators. He will also present an update on the papers produced and meetings attended including the section in a JGR volume, due out in November. There were several suggestions on what could be included in Peter's presentation. Some of these include the following:

Model output - Jamie animations, and model output will be available shortly
Chen model output - compare these results to ADCP flow fields
Flagg - ADCP flow fields
Beardsley - will provide Peter some model output runs by next Wednesday
Runge provided information in a couple of manuscripts out for review.
Whit Saumweber - will provide some new information on Calanus metabolic rates while in diapause

There was a discussion of results comparing the longevity of over-wintering versus active stocks of Calanus finmarchicus. Over-wintering stocks can survive without eating much longer than active individuals. Recent work in the Northeast Atlantic shows that the length of overwintering is temperature dependent with animals in colder water (0 to 1 C) lasting hundreds of days, but those at 5 C a much shorter time (60 90 days). At 7 or 8 C time to death would appear to be only 20 to 40 days. Active stock life times are not as temperature dependent. There are ramifications to these findings for the Gulf of Maine population since it implies there are more generations than previously supposed. If the over-wintering stock only lasts 40 to 90 days, then replacement stock may be coming from elsewhere. There was some thought that Gulf of Maine diapausing population can live much longer than implied by the metabolic rate measurements. This was thought to be a good item for discussion at the upcoming PI meeting.

There was also a discussion about the developing story on Calanus on the Bank and why 1998 was a good year class for haddock, but not for cod. D. Mountain suggests in a paper under development that for haddock it appears strongly linked to a lack of wind stress. Fewer haddock eggs were produced, but more survived. It was noted that cod egg production for the most part takes place on the Northeast Peak. But haddock egg production has recently been observed to take place there and also on the western end of the Bank, as it did before stocks were reduced to low levels. This may provide the haddock with an advantage. NMFS surveys have shown remarkably strong haddock recruitment in last couple of years, which may be linked to the recent periods of negative NAO indicies. It may also be linked to earlier than normal spring blooms as evidenced in a recent Nature paper [Platt, T., C. Fuentes-Yaco, K.T. Frank. 2003. Spring algal bloom and larval fish survival. Nature, 423,398-399]. It was noted that L. Buckley is trying to link early hatch dates (birth dates from the fall survey) to recruitment. This is another topic that should be discussed at the PI meeting.

P. Wiebe will also present EXCO's recommendations about the AO to the SSC.

Peter was familiar with the group's participation at the upcoming winter AGU meeting. But he was not aware of who was participating at the upcoming Hawaii ASLO/TOS meeting. It was suggested an e-mail request be sent to the investigators to find out who is contributing to ASLO/TOS.

E. Discussion of the Next SI Meeting

We have scheduled 16-20 August 2004 for the next full scientific investigators' meeting. However, it was recognized that this may not work out for everyone. It was decided to send out an e-mail to the investigators to get feedback on this date and to offer some alternate dates into November 2004 as well. It was noted that the ICES meeting is usually in late September or early October.)

F. Discussion of the Coastal Observatory for the Orion Meeting

R. Beardsley talked about the Orion meeting in January 2004 in Puerto Rico (supported by NSF, et al.) to discuss coastal observatory issues. Plans for U.S. ocean observatories (as opposed to operational data networks) are being formulated. It was noted that ocean observatories are created to solve specific scientific questions. They are not operational projects. For example, the GOMOOS effort is not an observatory, but rather an operational project. There are 3 target areas in Orion, assumed to each get one third funding:

Neptune - study plate boundaries off of the west coast of the U.S.
Deep ocean moorings in several places (air-sea research)
Coastal observing

There needs to be a plan put forth for the Coastal observing initiative to compete with the other two. It was recognized that there needs to be better representation at this meeting. There is a COOP meeting to be held soon in Chicago. There also needs to be some serious planning between now and January 1. One idea put forward was the study of nutrient fluxes at the shelf breaks and productivity on the continental shelves. It was also noted that an infrastructure including model systems are needed to be in place. For our region, FVCOM has the necessary elements. Several kinds of instrumentation would be needed in place between Georges Bank to the mid-Atlantic Bight, including some long term moorings, AUVs, gliders, etc. It would be very useful to nail down how nutrients get from offshore onto the shelf. Productivity and carbon flux questions could be addressed as science-based issues. B. Beardsley was going to continue discussions in the next weeks.

It was noted that the Northeast Observing System (NEOS) is GOMOOS affiliated, and while not science-driven, is still important to many researchers. Science needs the data available through GOMOOS to validate their models.

G. COP Budget Issues

P. Wiebe discussed the perennial problems that seem to crop up each year to keep the NOAA extramural funding for projects like GLOBEC in place. This year there is a substantial difference in the way that the House and Senate bills structure the funding for the Center for Sponsored Coastal Ocean Research (CSCOR) and its subdivision COP. During the past couple of weeks, there have been discussions between CORE, Congregational staffers, and GLOBEC EXCO leaders as well those associated with other programs (e.g. HAB, Hypoxia) to assist in seeing that extramural funds remain under the CSCOR umbrella.

H. ICES Meeting and North Atlantic Basin proposal.

Peter reported that the Estonia ICES meeting focused mainly on the Baltic Sea, but there was a well attended coupled physical/biological shelf process session that attracted a wide range of interesting papers. Next year there will be a similar session on the shelf processes at the annual ICES meeting that will be held in Spain. GLOBECers should contribute more heavily to this session next year.

I. Update and background on draft North Atlantic Basin-scale Workshop Proposal

Peter has a final draft of the North Atlantic Basin-scale modeling and data synthesis workshop proposal, which should be submitted soon. It is planned as a joint EU and NSF funded project with twenty individuals from Europe and twenty from North America - a mix of modelers and data specialists.

J. GLOBEC Publications

There was discussion about the need for planning for the next joint publications of the Georges Bank Group. This will be the subject of discussion at the PI meeting and in preparation, J. Runge was asked to check to see if Fisheries Oceanography could do a special volume on the U.S. GLOBEC Georges Bank synthesis. Jeff is on the editorial board of this journal. Other suggestions are welcome.

The meeting ended about 1500.

Prepared by Bob Groman
October 29, 2003
Modified: November 3, 2003